Barely Efficient (“Barely Efficient,” “BE,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) is an independently-owned website that identifies the world’s best productivity apps for our users (“User,” “you,” or “your”). Our goal is to help you optimize your life by offering you the most reliable recommendations and the best deals, and we work very hard to give you the best possible experience.
Our recommendations are based on a transparent and thorough review process, and we personally use the apps we recommend. In many (though not all) cases, when you purchase items through our links we receive a referral commission, which allows us to maintain the website and pay our writers fairly. You will not pay more when buying products through these links; in fact, sometimes you’d be getting discounts or bonuses not available elsewhere. We also occasionally carry sponsored posts, which are clearly marked.
Terms of Service
- Use of our Site
- Publishing Policy: We are not responsible for and do not necessarily hold the opinions expressed by our content contributors. Opinions and other statements expressed by users and third parties are theirs alone, not opinions of Barely Efficient. While we try to review content created by third parties, the accuracy and completeness of the content on our website is not endorsed or guaranteed. You acknowledge that by providing you with the ability to view and distribute content through our Site, Barely Efficient is not undertaking any obligation or liability relating to the content. Barely Efficient and its affiliates, successors, assigns, employees, agents, directors, officers and stockholders assume no responsibility or liability which may arise from the content thereof, including, but not limited to, claims for defamation, libel, slander, infringement, invasion of privacy and publicity rights, obscenity, pornography, profanity, fraud, or misrepresentation. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Barely Efficient reserves the right to block or remove communications, postings or materials at any time in our sole discretion.
- You agree not to engage in any of the following prohibited activities:
- copying, distributing, or disclosing any part of the Site (which includes other’s User Content) in any medium, including without limitation by any automated or non-automated “scraping” (other than as expressly permitted by the functionality of the Site), without permission and proper citation;
- using any automated system, including without limitation “robots,” “spiders,” “offline readers,” etc., to access the Site in a manner that sends more request messages to the Barely Efficient servers than a human can reasonably produce in the same period of time by using a conventional on-line web browser (except that Barely Efficient grants the operators of public search engines revocable permission to use spiders to copy materials from the Site for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials);
- transmitting spam, chain letters, or other unsolicited email;
- attempting to interfere with, compromise the system integrity or security or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running the Site;
- taking any action that imposes, or may impose at our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure;
- uploading invalid data, viruses, worms, or other software agents through the Site;
- collecting or harvesting any personally identifiable information, including account names, from the Site (other than as expressly permitted by the functionality of the Site);
- using the Site for any commercial solicitation purposes;
- impersonating another person or otherwise misrepresenting your affiliation with a person or entity, conducting fraud, hiding or attempting to hide your identity;
- interfering with the proper working of the Site;
- bypassing the measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site, including without limitation features that prevent or restrict use or copying of any content or enforce limitations on use of the Site or the content therein;
- posting nude, partially nude, or any sexually suggestive photos;
- downloading any file posted by another User that a User knows, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed through the Site.
- use the Site for any illegal activity whatsoever; or
- modify, adapt or hack our Site or modify another website so as to falsely imply that it is associated with the Site.
- Changes to the Site: Barely Efficient is constantly innovating and finding ways to improve our users’ experience on the Site. Therefore, we may, without prior notice, change the Site; add features, stop providing the Site or features of the Site, to you or to users generally; or create usage limits for the Site. We may permanently or temporarily terminate or suspend your access to the Site without notice and liability for any reason, including if, in our sole determination, you violate any provision of this Agreement, or for no reason. Upon termination of your use of the Site, you continue to be bound by this Agreement.
- User Content
- User content: Barely Efficient may now or in the future allow you to post or publish content on or upload content to the Service, including comments, photos, videos, and other materials. Any content a User submits, posts, displays, or otherwise makes available on the Service, including all Intellectual Property Rights (defined below) therein, is referred to as “User Content.” You retain ownership of your User Content.
- How Barely Efficient and other Users can use your content: You own all of the User Content you post or publish (“post”) on the Service. You grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use, modify, reproduce, display and distribute your User Content on the Service for the purposes of operating and providing the Service to you and other Users (“User Content License”). Subject to your profile and application settings, you also hereby grant to Barely Efficient and to each User of the Service, a non-exclusive license to access, use, reproduce, distribute and display your User Content as permitted by the functionality of the Service. You understand and agree that the Service is a public platform and other Users may search for, see, use, and/or re-post any User Content that you make publicly available through the Service.
- Definition of Intellectual Property Rights: For the purposes of this Agreement, “Intellectual Property Rights” means all patent rights, copyright rights, moral rights, rights of publicity, trademark, trade dress and service mark rights, goodwill, trade secret rights and other intellectual property rights as may now exist or hereafter come into existence, and all applications therefore and registrations, renewals and extensions thereof, under the laws of any state, country, territory or other jurisdiction.
- You agree not to post User Content that:
- may create a risk of harm, loss, physical or mental injury, emotional distress, death, disability, disfigurement, or physical or mental illness to you, to any other person, or to any animal;
- may create a risk of any other loss or damage to any person or property;
- seeks to harm or exploit children by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable details or otherwise;
- may constitute or contribute to a crime or tort;
- contains any information or content that we deem to be unlawful, harmful, abusive, racially or ethnically offensive, defamatory, infringing, harassing, humiliating to other people (publicly or otherwise), libelous, threatening, profane, or otherwise objectionable;
- contain software or other material that violates or invades the intellectual property rights (or rights of privacy or publicity) of any third party;
- includes any content to which you have not obtained any necessary rights or permissions to use accordingly;
- contains any information or content that is illegal (including, without limitation, the disclosure of insider information under securities law or of another party’s trade secrets);
- contains any information or content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships; or
- contains any information or content that you know is not correct and current.
- Valuing other’s rights:You agree that any User Content that you post does not and will not violate any law or infringe any rights of any third party, including without limitation any Intellectual Property Rights, publicity rights or rights of privacy. If you think any User Content infringes your rights, or if you want to challenge User Content that has been taken down from the site, please refer to Barely Efficient’s Copyright policy. We reserve the right, but are not obligated, to reject and/or remove any User Content that we believe, in our sole discretion, violates the Agreement.
- Barely Efficient Content
- Barely Efficient Content: Except for User Content, all materials on the Site and the Site itself and all Intellectual Property Rights contained therein or related thereto, are the property of Barely Efficient and/or its licensors (together “Barely Efficient Content”). Except as expressly provided in this Agreement, you may not sell, license, modify, copy, or otherwise exploit the Barely Efficient Content without our permission.
- Our license to you: Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Barely Efficient provides you with a non-exclusive, revocable license to use the Site for your personal, noncommercial use only and as expressly permitted by the features of the Site. Barely Efficient may terminate this license at any time for any reason or no reason.
- Feedback you provide: We are always looking for new ways to improve our Site. You may choose to or we may invite you to submit comments, ideas or feedback about the Site, including without limitation about how to improve the Site or our products (“Feedback”). By submitting any Feedback, you agree that your disclosure is gratuitous, unsolicited and without restriction and will not place Barely Efficient under any fiduciary or other obligation, and that we are free to use the Feedback without any additional compensation to you, and/or to disclose the Feedback on a non-confidential basis or otherwise to anyone. You further acknowledge that, by acceptance of your submission, Barely Efficient does not waive any rights to use similar or related Feedback previously known to Barely Efficient, or developed by its employees, or obtained from sources other than you.
- Privacy and Security
- Third-Party Links, Sites and Services
The Site may contain links to third-party websites, advertisers, services, special offers, or other events or activities that are not owned or controlled by Barely Efficient. Barely Efficient does not endorse or assume any responsibility for any such third-party sites, information, materials, products, or services. If you access a third party website from the Site, you do so at your own risk and you expressly release Barely Efficient from any and all liability arising from your use of any third-party website, service, or content.
- You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Barely Efficient and its subsidiaries, agents, licensors, managers, and other affiliated companies, and their employees, contractors, agents, officers and directors, from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees) arising from: (i) your use of and access to the Service, including any data or content transmitted by you; (ii) your violation of any term of this Agreement; (iii) your violation of any third-party right, including without limitation any right of privacy or Intellectual Property Rights; (iv) your violation of any applicable law, rule or regulation; (v) any claim or damages that arise as a result of any of your User Content
- No Warranty
The Site is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. Use of the Site is at your own risk. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, the Site is provided without warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. Without limiting the foregoing, Barely Efficient, its subsidiaries, and its licensors do not warrant that the content is accurate, reliable or correct; that the Site will meet your requirements; that the Site will be available at any particular time or location, uninterrupted or secure; that any defects or errors will be corrected; or that the Site is free of viruses or other harmful components. Any content downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of the Site is downloaded at your own risk and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or mobile device or loss of data that results from such download or your use of the service.
Barely Efficient does not warrant, endorse, guarantee, or assume responsibility for any product or service advertised or offered by a third party through the Barely Efficient service or any hyperlinked website or service, and Barely Efficient will not be a party to or in any way monitor any transaction between you and third-party providers of products or services.
- How We Collect and Use Information
- Personally Identifiable Information:We collect information that can be used to identify you as an individual (“Personally Identifiable Information”) only when you provide such information directly to us in connection with the Site.
- Types of Personally Identifiable Information you may provide:You aren’t required to provide us with any Personally Identifiable Information in order to use our Site, however, you may choose to provide certain Personally Identifiable Information to us, such as your full name, birthdate, phone number, and e-mail address. We may also retain the contents of any messages you send to us or through the Site, and we may collect information you provide in user content that you post or upload to the Site (“User Content”). Finally, we may now or in the future allow Users to create accounts. If you choose to sign up for a User account, we may collect certain Personally Identifiable Information, including your username, full name, phone number, and e-mail address. You can view your account information, including a history of what you have recommended, shared, and liked, on your User account. If you sign up for our e-mail newsletter, we will collect your e-mail address.
- Personally Identifiable Information we may receive from third parties:We may now or in the future receive Personally Identifiable Information about you from third parties. For example, if you access our Sites or services through a third-party connection or log-in, including social networking services such as Google, Facebook, or Twitter, by “following,” “liking,” adding the Barely Efficient application, linking your account to the Services, etc., that third party may pass certain information about your use of its service to Barely Efficient. This information could include, but is not limited to, the user ID associated with your account (for example, your Facebook user identification), an access token necessary to access that service, any information that you have permitted the third party to share with us, and any information you have made public in connection with that service. You should always review, and if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third-party websites and services before linking or connecting them to the Site.
- Non-Personally Identifiable Information:We also collect and use information about your interactions with the Site in a manner and format that does not identify you as an individual (“Non-Personally Identifiable Information”). We may collect, use, and disclose the following types of Non-Personally Identifiable Information:
- Analytics information.We use third-party analytics tools to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Site. These tools collect information sent by your browser as part of a web page request, including the web pages you visit, your browser add-ons, and other information that assists us in improving the Site. We may collect and use this analytics information together with your Personally Identifiable Information to build a broader profile of our individual Users so that we can serve you better.
- The Sites use Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”).
- Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google’s behalf.
- Cookies information:When you visit the Site, we may send one or more cookies to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser and lets Barely Efficient help you log in faster and enhance your navigation through the Sites. A cookie may also convey information to us about how you use the Site (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click and other actions you take on the Site), and allow us or our business partners to track your usage of the Site over time. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive after you close your browser. Persistent cookies may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the Sites. Persistent cookies can be removed by following your web browser’s directions. A session cookie is temporary and disappears after you close your browser. You can reset your web browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features of the Site may not function properly if the ability to accept cookies is disabled.
- Log file information:Log file information is automatically reported by your browser each time you access a web page. When you use our Site, our servers (whether operated by us or a third party provider) automatically record certain log file information. These server logs may include anonymous information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Site, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information.
- Clear gifs/web beacons information:When you use the Site, we may employ clear gifs (also known as web beacons) which are used to anonymously track the online usage patterns of our Users. In addition, we may also use clear gifs in HTML-based emails sent to our Users to track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. The information is allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of the Services.
- Device identifiers:When you access the Site by or through a mobile device (including but not limited to smart-phones or tablets), we may access, collect, monitor and/or remotely store one or more “device identifiers,” such as a unique device identifier (“UDID”). Device identifiers are small data files or similar data structures stored on or associated with your mobile device, which uniquely identify your mobile device. A device identifier may be data stored in connection with the device hardware, data stored in connection with the device’s operating system or other software, or data sent to the device by Barely Efficient. A device identifier may convey information to us about how you browse and use the Site. A device identifier may remain persistently on your device, to help you log in faster and enhance your navigation through the Site. Some features of the Site may not function properly if use or availability of device identifiers is impaired or disabled.
- Location data:When you access the Site by or through a mobile device, we may access, collect, monitor and/or remotely store “location data,” which may include GPS coordinates (e.g. latitude and/or longitude) or similar information regarding the location of your mobile device. Location data may convey to us information about how you browse and use the Site. Some features of the Site, particularly location-based services, may not function properly if use or availability of location data is impaired or disabled.
- Third-party Advertisers, Links to Other Sites
Barely Efficient does not provide any Personally Identifiable Information to these third-party ad servers or ad networks without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in or opt-out. However, please note that if an advertiser asks Barely Efficient to show an advertisement to a certain audience (for example, men ages 18-34) or audience segment (for example, men ages 18-24 who have viewed certain content) and you respond to that advertisement, the advertiser or ad-server may conclude that you fit the description of the audience they are trying to reach. The advertiser may also use information regarding your use of the Sites, such as the number of times you viewed an ad (but not any personally identifiable information), to determine which ads to deliver to you.
Please reach out to us via our Contact Us page should you have any questions regarding our terms of service. Barely Efficient is a community of GTD enthusiasts who deeply care about our users, and we look forward to continuing to share our thoughts and experiences of the best productivity apps with you.
Page was last updated on July 25, 2016.